Monday, July 25, 2016

Couch Shopping (and Supporting Local Mamas!)

I have a bit of a confession to make…
I’m a shopaholic.
As in… Never met a sale I didn’t like. Or a pair of shoes I didn’t absolutely need.
My husband will never understand…
Having three girls slowed down my mall-browsing days, though. I mean, packing up my lot to traipse through Nordstrom to find the Fall top or fits-just-right pair of J Brands? Yeah. No. Not anymore.
And thanks to a little thing called The Internet and promos like Free Shipping, I don’t need to haul the trio to the mall and tell them all that I’m not buying every toy they see or Descendants top they can’t live without.
But there’s the issue of price…
It’s hard to outfit three girls in cute clothes. I mean, if I could afford everything in the Tea Collection Fall line… Well… Then I would buy it all. And I’d love to outfit myself in Jessica Simpson’s entire Fall line of maternity clothes.
But I can’t, so…
So instead I co-op and wholesale shop to keep my crew and me clad in trendy clothes (yes, even in my pregnant-with-a-surrobaby state, I like to pretend to know what is currently trendy, even if I will never, ever dress like a Kardashian or be able to pull off maternity wear like Blake Lively).
Luckily for me, Arlington and Mansfield are home to several amazing co ops and online wholesale groups that keep me up-to-date in cute clothes while not totally destroying my bank account.
Intrigued? Read on…
1.       With Joy Wholesale (facebook.com/groups/withjoywholesale)
a.       This site was started by a wonderful Mansfield mama who wanted trendy boutique clothing without the steep retail price. Low and behold, her brand was born: With Joy Wholesale, which carries lots of boutique name brands below cost. How does it work? She posts one or two tops/dresses/rompers per day… And you fill out a google form with your size and email address. Everything is sold in “packs”- 2 smalls, 2 mediums, 2 larges. When your pack fills, you receive an invoice for the amount of purchase. You pay, she orders. When your item is in, you can choose to pick it up in Mansfield or Arlington. Voila! Discounted boutique shopping from your home! My entire summer wardrobe is lovely, oversized Umgee tops that I paid less than retail for through With Joy.
a.       This site was started by a wonderful Arlington mama who was also looking to update her wardrobe below retail. It is run in the same fashion as With Joy. She only has one pick up location, in Arlington. She has styles similar to what With Joy offers and has even offered girls boutique clothing. She’s also done pants and crops and sandals… Summer wardrobe, done! I can’t wait til all the Fall stuff is out! (See things online that you want her to feature? PM them to her- she’s happy to try and find them and list them on her page!)
3.       A Touch Of Love (This is a secret FB group… Request access here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSchAq3L9j0jDuStrWon1u1bCjsMNpa5jAO5wNmJ4TXJxx8Hhg/viewform?c=0&w=1)
a.       ATOL is a co op… Meaning they do clothes and then some! Several buys are run per month. When a buy is posted, you can look through pictures, read item descriptions, ask questions. When you are ready to order, you fill out a google form. When the buy closes, the owners invoice you for the amount you owe. Most items take 4-6 weeks. You can choose to pick up in Pantego area, south Arlington, etc. Examples of amazing things I’ve bought on here (below retail, of course!): character capes and masks, honey sticks, Surf Sweets, boutique bows and headbands, muslin blankets, matching outfits for my girls, organic shampoos and soaps.

A word of caution about co ops and wholesale: This shopping is not for you if you like to have things in your hands instantly. I’ve had to wait on tops for more than a month and co op items for up to two. So… plan ahead! You can’t order a top for your son’s third birthday a week from Friday. But… If you can wait, it’s worth it! The other down side is… All sales are final. So… If you order a medium top thinking “I hope this isn’t too big/small,” and then it is… It’s still yours. There is no return policy. However, most the owners are happy to let you repost the item on the page and see if another shopper is interested is buying from you. Lastly- please don’t ruin it for the rest of us! Don’t sign up for 12 boutique outfits and then get the bill and go… Never mind. These sites are very up front about pricing, so sticker shock shouldn’t be an issue. But you will be removed from the group if you order and then don’t pay because it messes up buying for the rest of us.


All this said- happy shopping! Please message me with any questions J

No comments:

Post a Comment