Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Shop Local: An Arlington-area Shopping Guide for the Holidays

Every year about this time, I vow to support local a bit more and order from Amazon a bit less..

And then every year, about two weeks from now, I start to get a bit overwhelmed by the idea of "shopping locally" and don't know where to start. So I revisit a little Website called Amazon and cheat on all my favorite local spots that make this community awesome.

So this year, I'm making it easy on all of us. I'm making a gift guide for all the people on your list- and I'm telling you exactly where or how to find these awesome items that anyone would be thrilled to get under the Christmas tree! (Every. Single. Item. is from a local shop or direct seller or small business owner in the Arlington & Mansfield area so your dollars support local. Awesome, right?)

Read on for the Ultimate Arlington Holiday Shopping Guide!

For the Woman in your Life: (Mom, Aunt, Sister, Wife, Girlfriend)

Makeup Junkie Bags, starting at $25


These lay-flat makeup bags and clutches are made by a Houston-area Mommy and sold by an awesome Mom here in Arlington. They come in a variety of sizes and patterns, and are perfect for everyday use. They make adorable clutches for date night or diapers and wipes holders for the car or diaper bag. A definite hit with all the women in your life!
Find them here:
Makeup Junkie Bags

Fun, Quirky Earrings from Front Porch Boutique, starting at $15



Kitschy earrings are a staple in any woman's wardrobe, and Front Porch Boutique, run by a local Arlington Mama, has some of the cutest styles currently available! I mean, honestly here, how many women wouldn't go gaga for margarita earrings? Or coffee earrings? They are a great price and so cute you may not want to give them away!
Find them here:
Fun Earrings

Funky, Gorgeous Bangles from Frills & Trimmings, $17.99


I'm always in search of accessories to add some sparkle to outfits I already own. And leopard print is my go-to neutral. Match these bangles to almost anything you already own to add a bit of spice to your wardrobe!
Find them here:
Animal Print Bangles

Drapey, soft, amazing Piko tunics from Jazzy Jems, starting at $19.99


Piko tunics are as important in my life as wine. So... There's that. But seriously! Piko tunics come in loads of gorgeous colors, fit so well and feel so so soft. They are great over jeans or leggings, or even a killer skirt. They come in sizes small-large and are a great match with any of the above accessories (or all of them for the ultimate gift for your gal!).
Find them here:
Jazzy Jems Info

For the New Mama You Know

Adorable Swaddle Blankets from The Crunchy Boutique, starting at $29.99


Large, lightweight blankets were a diaper bag staple for me when my kids were little. I could use them for everything from a nursing cover to a changing pad and everything in between. We still keep my favorite prints around for my girls to cuddle up to at night or use on their dolls. And the prints from these Little Muffincakes Blankets would definitely qualify these puppies as keepers!
Find the here:
Swaddle Blankets

A Fit4Mom Membership, starting at $40


One of the hardest parts about becoming a mom for me was accepting the changes to my body that each of my kiddos brought with her. Four pregnancies on, I don't think I'll ever be back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and I've finally made peace with that. But I found support from the Fit4Mom village back when my oldest was an infant (8 years ago now!), and those women really helped me appreciate all that my body is capable of. This is a gift for the body and the soul!
Find it here:
Fit4Mom Facebook Page


For the Man in your Life (Husband, Boyfriend, Uncle, Guy Friend)

Dad Bod On Point shirt from Southern Taterbug, starting at $18


My husband is, surprisingly, pretty open to wearing any of the shirts I put in his closet, even if they are a bit self-deprecating. This shirt from a local Mansfield Mama would make us both laugh. He's still as hot to me now as he was the day I met him in college, and he would definitely find the humor in a shirt like this! (Someday I'll have my college waistline back. We all will...)
Find it here:
Southern Taterbug

Stealth Flasks from Rocket Fizz, $19.99



Admittedly, my husband and I don't drink like we used to, but I do have a brother and a brother-in-law who would still put these guys to great use. I found these hysterical when I bumped into them at Rocket Fizz- hand lotion containers for, well, not hand lotion! What better way to pretend you are 18 again than with a flask your 18-year-old self would be envious of?
Find them here:
Rocket Fizz Arlington

Signed Sports Memorabilia from Gracie Lane, from $9.99



Got a guy who loves sports? Check out all that Gracie Lane has to offer in its Man Cave! Signed jerseys, photographs and so on from some of his favorite athletes. Pricing varies greatly here. Even if your main man isn't crazy about sports, chances are you'll be able to find something he will like at Gracie Lane!
Find more info here:
Gracie Lane info

Goodr Sunglasses from The Runner, $25


I've been a runner for years, and I don't think I've been this excited about a running item in a long time! These sunglasses are lightweight, don't slip when you get sweaty or bounce around as you move. Plus, they are polarized and come in lots of cool colors. Even if your man isn't a runner, these glasses are seriously cool for keeping that Texas sun out of your eyes!
Find them here:
The Runner Info

For the Kiddies

Pearachute Kids Membership for Classes and Activities, starting at $39 per month


My kids have everything. Literally all the things. And while I have a few presents to wrap and stick under the tree, I've enjoyed, more than anything, giving my kids the gift of creating memories. Pearachute Kids is a drop in class pass system for kids and caregivers to attend classes, events and activities all over the Metroplex. Try out soccer, or channel your inner Picasso at art class, or check out a movie on the big screen. Pearachute has activities for kiddos seven days a week, from morning until night, from west Fort Worth to Mesquite and everywhere in between. Instead of things, give your kids the gift of memories!
Find it here:
Pearachute Kids

Adorable Plush Toys from Chelsea's Tea Room, starting at $24.99



Kids gaga for all things soft and cuddly? Mine too. I could go on a nice vacation for all the money I've spent on TY through the years. I was hooked on Beanie Babies as a kid (fine- as a teenager, I'll admit it!), and now my girls are nuts for the Beanie Boos. We own more than I care to admit. And they are always on the hunt for the next animal to join the zoo that lives in our playroom. Chelsea's has a few more victims, I mean sweet plush things, to add to our collection. (Although I secretly have my eye on the big unicorn... Santa would do well to leave her under our tree!)
Find them here:
Chelsea's Tea Room Facebook Page

Tegu Blocks from Sockmonkey Junction. starting at $19.99


These magnetic wooden blocks are pure joy for young builders. The familiar warmth of wooden toys mixed with the magic of magnets will help your child's imagination soar. If blocks aren't the right gift for your kiddo, Sockmonkey Junction will absolutely be able to help you find something to please your kiddo!
Find more info here:
Sockmonkey Junction Facebook Page

Learning Wrap Ups from Usborne Books, starting at $8.99



My favorite toys are ones that are both fun and educational. My girls love math (my husband has his fingers and toes crossed that they will all be engineers one day!), and these learning wrap ups from Usborne books are a perfect educational tool to help them work on their addition and subtraction in a fun, tactile way. Even better- you can buy learning wrap ups for more than just math, and they come at a fantastic price, making them a great gift for all the kids on your list!
Find them here:
Usborne Books Learning Wrap Ups

Animal Herbal Warmers from Hank & Ellie, $23.95



Again with the "can't go wrong with all things cute and plush here," these huggable animals from Hank & Ellie in Pantego make a cute gift for a kiddo to snuggle up to all winter long. These herbal warmers will be great for the wintertime, keeping kiddos warm at night or on the inevitable sick days that January and February will bring. Plus, they come in a variety of adorable creatures. I've got my eye on that unicorn, too!
Find them here:
Hank and Ellie Facebook Page

For you Tween

The Charming Bracelet, a book by local author Sherry Hall, $18
I love to read. Anything girly and light is right up my alley. I can't wait until my girls are old enough to start reading some of my all-time favorites such as The Babysitters Club or Harry Potter. This book is definitely something I'll be purchasing to put in the vault for them to read in a few years. And a signed addition that supports a local mama? Awesome!
Find it here:
The Charming Bracelet

Easy Teacher Gifts

Gorgeous plush throws from Twisted Southern Root, $34


Teacher gifts are so easy and yet, so hard. I want to think outside the box, but with all the gift giving and activities and general mayhem that is the holiday season, I'm generally scrambling the night before winter break begins, wondering what in the heck I'm going to give my girls' teachers. So when I stumbled upon these beauties at a local Mansfield shop, I knew I'd hit on something fabulous. These bright, vibrant blankets are perfect for cold winter nights, and their uplifting sayings can brighten anyone's day. Plus these are something outside the ordinary- no one else will be gifting something quite so special!
Find them here:
Cozy Blankets

Silly Socks from Hello Be-YOU-tiful Boutique, $14


Nothing says winter break like snuggly socks to pad around the house in when you know your chances of getting dressed that day are pretty close to zero. These socks, with cheeky sayings such as "If you can read this, it's time to wine down," are a great, funny gift to tell your kids' teacher to have a great break! Plus they come from a couple of Mansfield Mamas who run a great online boutique!
Find them here:
Silly Socks

For the Grandparents

Photo Ornaments from MAK Designs, starting at $12.75


My parents and in laws love nothing more than glossy photos of my sweet girls (fine, and my husband and me, although I avoid the camera like it's going out of style!) more than anything else I could possibly put under the Christmas tree. Photo anything is always a hit at our Christmas celebrations! These sweet ornaments come from a local Mansfield Mama and are sure to make any grandma or grandpa swoon with pride!
Find them here:
Photo Ornaments






No comments:

Post a Comment