Monday, November 26, 2018

DFW for the Holidays: Prairie Lights 2018

For years I've intended to take the girls to Prairie Lights at Joe Pool Lake in Grand Prairie.

And for years, it hasn't happened.

We went for the first time last night... And I now am certain we've been missing out on a fabulous event all these years!



Prairie Lights, about a 20-minute drive from my home in west Arlington, is a drive-through light display with a "Holiday Village" halfway through where you can stretch your legs, enjoy a few treats, see the man in red himself and so much more!



First and foremost- Prairie Lights in super affordable! I have a family of five and only one parent who works full time, meaning we can't spend on holiday activities the way we might want to. Prairie Lights is one of the more affordable options in the Metroplex. It is $35 per car on the weekdays and $45 on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. If you drive a minivan like I do, you can bring 7 people for that one price! This price includes two rides at holiday village, a Christmas show, loads of photo ops and more!



The Website (www.prairielights.org) told us to arrive early to avoid lines and to allow about 1.5 hours to enjoy the attraction to the fullest. So we pulled into line at 5:45 and were through the gates by 6:05. We spent about 20 minutes enjoying the first set of drive-through lights. This year, the lights told several stories. First, A Bug's Christmas, followed by a story that told us about preparing for and then enjoying a large holiday feast. My girls enjoy the moving lights, the silly elves, all of it! I enjoyed our drive through "A Victorian Christmas" and seeing images of Christmases passed.



Parking at Holiday Village and walking through there was my girls' most favorite part of the experience. There is a carousel and a spinning bear/dog/animal ride appropriate for kids of all ages- and the price of these rides is included in admission. How great is that?! There is also a hot dog vendor out front.



Enter the tent marked "Holiday Village," and more magic awaits! You can shop, snap gorgeous photos, treat yourself to hot chocolate, coffee, popcorn and more or go and see Santa (there is an extra charge for Santa photos). There is also a Christmas show with both live actors and images on white screens that we enjoyed. It's a quick 10 minutes and cute for all ages (my girls nearly died laughing when the male actor introduced himself- he has a very silly name, but you'll have to go and find out what it is for yourself!).



After fueling up on $2 hot chocolate (the money benefits scholarships given out by the Grand Prairie Parks and Recreation Department, so it's hard to resist!), we walked through the lights village behind the heated tent. What a treat! More photo ops, lighted representations of different countries (I couldn't resist snapping the Eiffel Tower), walk-through tunnels and much more.



After we got back in our car, we enjoyed about 10 more minutes of drive-through lights before making our way back home.

My girls and I loved our experience at Prairie Lights. I'm honestly kicking myself for never having taken them before. Now that I know what a delight it is, I know we will be back!



Tips and Tricks before you go:
1. Get there early! Gates are at 6. Try to be in line before gates open to avoid crowds.
2. Plan to spend about an hour and a half enjoying the entire experience.
3. Dress for the weather! My girls would have ridden the rides about 100 times each if I had been properly dressed to stand and watch them!
4. Catch the show. It's super cute! (and there's "snow" at the end!)
5. Bring a few dollars to buy coffee or hot cocoa or a pretzel at the concession stand. The money is for a great cause! (they do take cards)
6. If you want to experience Prairie Lights with lots of friends, consider renting a limo or bus and splitting the cost! The cost is higher to get in for larger vehicles but may lower the cost per person depending on how many people attend.
7. Enjoy!



*Disclaimer- I was given free admission to Prairie Lights in exchange for my review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment