Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Not to brag... But I had a "Me" night!

Y'all... I've been searching for prenatal yoga in this area for... Well, for years now. This is, in fact, not my first rodeo pregnancy.

When I lived in North Dallas, I was fortunate enough to have unlimited free prenatal classes to keep me fit and fabulous during my entire first pregnancy. (Sadly, Destination Maternity did away with the "free" part of these classes shortly after I delivered my first born in late 2009) While the Arlington-area has no shortage of great yoga studios and classes, there is a definite lack of fitness programs (specifically yoga) available to mamas-to-be.

So I was delighted to see Oh Baby Fitness offering a class at Arlington Memorial Hospital! The class is on Tuesday from 5:45-7p and is for mamas out of their first trimester of pregnancy (with doctor's permission, of course). The class is held in the McRae building, in the basement, room C6. The class is normally $60 for a 4-week session. Tonight's class was a free trial (score!).


We spent the first part of the class introducing ourselves and talking about where in our pregnancies we are- I was the only "veteran" in the group- both to yoga and pregnancy! It was fun hearing about everyone else's experiences with pregnancy to date. 

We were asked to bring our own yoga mats and bottles of water. Lisa, the instructor, provided yoga blankets and blocks. We spent about 45 minutes going over breathing and stretching techniques. Lisa watched us each step of the way to make sure we were properly executing each pose, and offered advice if something wasn't feeling "right." It was nice to do yoga with other mamas-to-be. I have a membership to LA Fitness and enjoy yoga there- but sometimes it's nice to be in a class specific to pregnancy and not have to worry about modifications and catching the instructor's attention to offer you pregnancy-safe poses each step of the way.


After yoga, I drove my pregnant self west down Randol Mill and stopped at MaxFrut, one of my many new favorite treat stops (oh, how I wish I were on this side of town more often!). For $2,99, I bought myself a decadent vanilla caramel pop and 10 more minutes of peace and quiet. I plan to sample my way through all their flavors... So far I've had three. I wanted so badly to grab the coffee-flavored treat tonight, but I have already reached my (contractually-specified) caffeine intake limit for the day... So... After an internal debate between vanilla caramel, hibiscus and coconut, vanilla caramel it was! (It did not disappoint... Not one little bit!)


I cannot recommend Maxfrut enough. I may take my middle daughter to Randol Mill Park tomorrow to play- just so that we have an excuse to stop at Maxfrut afterward! There are enough flavors that everyone can find something to enjoy, and the pops aren't loaded down with sugar and food dye! Seriously, a $2.99 pop at Maxfrut is probably some of the best money I spent all day. And it was a great way to end an evening spent focusing on me!


Any recommendations on places to try for prenatal fitness? What about other gourmet pop shops? Help a (pregnant) girl out!


No comments:

Post a Comment