Friday, September 2, 2016

Like a Kid in a, well, a Candy Store!

My girls and I drive by Jim and Lor's Candy Store in south Arlington frequently when we are going to and from our classes at The Little Gym. Usually we are passing by on a day the store is closed, and we are all always disappointed because, well, who can say no to a candy store?!

Today, my youngest and I caught them during open hours and had to stop in (twist my arm, really!) and see what all is offered!

The store is located on Matlock Rd., at the intersection of Matlock and Eden. It is on the northeast side of the intersection, in a small shopping center that also has a dentist's office (irony?). The store is closed a lot during the summer, so be sure and call or check their FB page before heading that way- although the sign on the door today said they would be open Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 11-6p.


The store had loads of sugar-y candies that had my youngest spinning in circles. She had to look and touch most of the pre-packaged items before settling on a rock candy sucker (green for her, blue for middle sister). She's a kid after my own heart because if I still craved flavored sugar the way I know my girls do, that would have been my pick, too! Rock candy suckers are $1.25 each.



I won't lie... I went in for the chocolate. And they had a display case full! It all looked yummy... chocolate caramel apples, chocolate-covered strawberries, pecan and peanut turtles, almond bark and so on. The even had chocolate-drizzled twinkies and chocolate-coated rice krispie treats! It was hard to choose- it all looked really good! In the end, we chose a "clearance" apple for $2 (caramel apples are $6 each, clearance were $2), 2 rock candy suckers, a bag of two pecan turtles, 3 individually-wrapped chocolates (that were supposed to be for oldest, middle and youngest, but were immediately consumed by youngest), and a chocolate peanut butter Ritz cracker. I paid $7.31- a price I was ecstatic with! (Lots of the chocolate didn't have price stickers, and I paid cash and wasn't given a receipt. So I'm not sure of the breakdown on my bill, but based on the math, the chocolate was super-reasonably priced! Chocolate-covered Oreos were labelled $.50 each, so I'm guessing my Ritz was similarly-priced.)




My chocolates were incredible. I am a HUGE fan of turtles- I love the chocolate-caramel combination, and this one did not disappoint! It was rich and decadent and just the right consistency. (Yes, singular. Youngest daughter talked me out of the second one and happily inhaled it between licks of her rock candy sucker) Equally delightful was my peanut butter Ritz- which was actually three Ritz Crackers with two layers of peanut butter coated in chocolate. I KNOW. It was absolutely every bit as delicious as it sounds. But don't take my word- go try it for yourself!


The store's Website is currently disabled, and their Facebook page hasn't had a post since late 2015- but I promise the store is there and worth the trip! Just be sure you call first- I personally know the worst thing ever is promising your child a trip to the candy store only to find out it's closed...

No comments:

Post a Comment