Monday, July 31, 2017

The Best Apps to Navigate Parenthood

I never thought I’d see a day where my entire life could be managed on a device smaller than a slice of bread.

And yet, here we are.

Never one to be late to the electronic game, I, like most, use my cell phone for everything.
Including simplifying my life as a mommy of three (girls!).

I’ve rounded up my favorite parenting (and adulting) apps to tell you how they make my life easier and why I can’t live without them! (All of these apps are free unless otherwise noted. Please note that I use an iPhone and cannot guarantee all apps are available on an Android)

For organization's sake:

Picniic

This app is like my personal assistance. It’s my calendar, my to-do list, my important dates list, shopping list and meal planner all in one. I can upload all our activities here, from birthday parties to camps to volunteer shifts, and assign them to a specific person in the family. My husband has the app on his phone, too, so he gets notified when I add something so he can’t play dumb when I tell him to pick up a gift for the birthday party next Saturday. The paid subscription allows you to enter important information such as medical info, financial info and personal info and add a passcode for extra security.



Mint


Adulting is hard, especially when it comes to money. Budget for this, that expense pops up. And somedays I just need Starbucks, or the cute sale dresses at Target (times three!) or the gorgeous Kendra Scott necklace because it’s my birthday month so the necklace is half price. But it’s not always easy to keep track of the spending… So in comes Mint.  I can keep track of my money all in one place. The checking account. The savings account. The college funds. The bills. And so on. 

For practicing my social skills:

Meetup

This app helps you find your tribe (or fitness group, or common interest group and so on). Create your profile (make it as detailed as you want) and you can search for groups in your area. When I first became a mommy, this app helped me locate mommy groups in the area to socialize my babies. On the app, you can connect with others in the area, find local meetups and playgroups and search by common interest to fill your days!




Winnie

Sometimes it's hard to know where to go for kid-friendly activities and restaurants. Where should you eat? Where can you play? Enter Winnie to answer these questions for you! Open the app and enable GPS and you'll never wonder what to do with the kids again! Search by area to find restaurants, parks and kid-activities in any given spot. The app even offers information about the place such as whether or not there is a kid's menu or if a park is great for nursing. If you travel frequently with your kids- this app is for you!



For peace of mind

Mamabear

I would have been horrified as a child in the 80s and 90s if my parents tracked my every move. But we grew up in a very different world than our kids today. Internet safety and stranger danger are some of my biggest fears as a mom. Mamabear is just the app to calm my fears a bit. After registering my family, I can download this app to all their phones/devices and monitor their whereabouts and activities. I can set location alerts and track where they are- and whether or not they should be in these areas. I can also monitor social media so I know if kids have befriended inappropriate people or are messaging individuals who aren't their friends. Just a little assurance in this digital age.



WebMD Baby

Worried your newborn isn't nursing enough? Or that your infant isn't having enough we diapers? Enter WebMD Baby- a great app that allows you to track all things baby for your little ones to share with your pediatrician- or simply for your own knowledge. The app also offers loads of advice on little ones, everything from infant and toddler care to vaccine info. It also has a guide on what to expect at your kiddo's well visits each milestone.



For the kids 

PBS Learn & Play

Sometimes I have to entertain my kids when we are out and about, and my phone is a great tool for that. One of our favorites is PBS Learn & Play, which has great, easy-to-understand games for little minds that help them learn as they play. Lots of activities keep little ones exploring, and you can choose the age range for your kiddo to find a game tailored to his/her age group- and there is a even a Spanish option!



Nick Jr.

Sometimes my kids, much like me, want to plug in and tune out. And so we have Nick Jr./Nickelodeon, where kids can watch and interact with their favorite TV shows. I don't have to worry about the content they are exploring (which is why we steer clear of YouTube), and they can flip from character to character and show to show at their own pace.



For Memories

Artkive

My kids have more artwork than I know what to do with. And my oldest is only seven! The way they create I estimate that we will need a second house in approximately four years. Good thing I found Artkive, an app that lets me digitally store all of their masterpieces. I can organize them by kid and then order books or other products with pictures of their favorite creations so they never feel as if I didn't appreciate their creative genius!

Chatbooks

Sometimes my life is a little too digital. I often joke with my mom that if my girls ever want to know when they lost their first tooth or aced their first spelling test, they'll have to check my Facebook page. It's funny.... And sadly true. And so I discovered Chatbooks, an easy way to get those photos off my newsfeed and onto my coffee table. Create books any way you want at reasonable prices so your kiddos can cherish their memories forever- and not just on your Facebook newsfeed!








No comments:

Post a Comment