Monday, January 16, 2017

Baby It's Cold Outside!

With the weather being as, um, unpredictable as it is, I like to have a plan.

For my kids.

Because if we stay home, our house becomes a war zone and my sanity the casualty.

Toys and chaos descend upon us, and I can't clean it up quickly enough.

My girls become mortal enemies when their favorite dolls are involved, and then best friends when they are conspiring against me and my quest for order.

It's exhausting.

So, when the weather is gross, we head to our favorite hot spots.

Several of these spots are new to the area, and we discovered them in the Fall and fell in love. Unfortunately, they aren't in Arlington, but they are in the greater Fort Worth area and so very, very worth the drive!

1. Inneractive Playhouse, 5950 Vista Park Circle, Keller. $6 for kids 2 and under, $10 for kids up to age 10. Higher weekend rates apply.


We discovered this place because I discovered a Groupon. It takes about 30-35 minutes to get there from south Arlington, so we make a day of it. (There is actually a fantastic McDonald's not far from it- this place is right off Denton Highway on the Keller/Fort Worth border. The McDonald's is right near your exit if you take 820 to Denton Highway like I do... It has a train theme and the girls love it!) There is a toddler area for the 2 and under set and a fantastic, brightly-colored play area for the big kids. There is seating for adults, and private rooms are available if you want to have a birthday party. 

I'd recommend this for the 7 and under set. My oldest loves playing here with her little sisters, but I would say she is on the outer age limit for this facility (although they allow kids up to age 10). I also recommend bringing water as it gets warm in there, and the kids get thirsty! They have a snack room so feel free to pack something for the littles, or snacks such as goldfish and granola bars are available for $1 each.

2. The Happy Lark. 5816 S. Hulen St., Fort Worth. $10 per child; $12 for two kids.


The Happy Lark is a modern escape just south of Hulen Mall, about 20 minutes from southwest Arlington. The playspace is a large room filled with mod, wooden toys for imaginative play. There are building toys to foster creation, a chalk wall to encourage art, a storefront to encourage role play and so on. There is a back room with play doh and magna tiles for gets to really get creative. There is plenty of seating for adults... And the best part? A shop in front of the playspace filled with all the modern, trendy wonders you see in parenting magazines to take home for your kiddos! Think adorable clothes and baby accessories in muted, modern colors.

I'd recommend this spot for kiddos under the age of 5. My oldest has never been, but I don't think she'd adore it the way my younger two do. The toys are geared toward younger kids.

3. Small World, Big Imagination, 280 Commerce St., Suite 125, Southlake. $12 per child over age 1, includes a snack when you leave.


I'm so excited there is a spot like this on the west side of the Metroplex. So many of my Collin County friends rave about playplaces like this in their neck of the woods that I was over the moon when I found out Southlake got one! (The drive from southwest Arlington is about 30-35 minutes) This place a is a mini wonderland for your tot. Where do I start? There is an entire arts and crafts section for creative minds. There is a large wooden truck with an open hood for kids to tinker with. There are several themed "rooms" for kids to play in including a store, a doctor's office and a fire station. There is a small canoe in the room's center with fishing poles and magnetic fish to be "caught" by your munchkins. There is so much to entertain your kids for many, many hours. Believe me... We've stayed here so long my phone has died.

I'd recommend this spot for kids ages 10 and under. My oldest is very creative and can color and glue for hours. She loves this space and is rarely bored, even if I think some of the toys are a bit young for her. 

4. The Tubes at Irving Bible Church, 2435 Kinwest Parkway, Irving. Free.

The tubes are just what they sound like... A big playspace made up of tubes to climb through! Picture a McDonald's playscape on steroids. This is a great spot to escape to if you need to get out but don't want to lighten your wallet. Kids can run wild through the tubes free of charge. Parents can sit outside the noisy play area at small tables and watch kids run out their energy. Definitely pack and lunch and make a day of it (though there is a coffee bar inside the church for my fellow caffeine-addicted mamas).

I'd recommend the tubes for kids ages 3 and up. The playscape is large... And it's tough to rescue a tot who gets halfway up and starts to cry (been there, done that). We've also been on days when school is out and there are lots of older kids running around. So 3 and up is safe. There is a soft padded area adjacent to the tubes for young tots, age birth two about 18 months will be happy here while older siblings play. 

I made a list of awesome play spots over the summer, but I had to add in these great "day trips" we've since discovered. I was not paid or compensated by these places in any way- I just simply had to share their awesomeness with my fellow moms! All pictures used were taken from the playarea's Facebook page. Be sure and call or check websites for opening times as they vary.

If you are looking for something closer to home, definitely check out hot spots such as Urban Air, Flight Deck Trampoline Park or the Arlington Skatium for some fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment