Thursday, March 11, 2021

5 Fun Places to Camp Near DFW!

Looking for a fun weekend getaway in Texas? These 5 spots within a few hours' drive of DFW will let you relax and unwind!

My husband loves to camp. I... love to glamp! A few years ago, we spent a few nights in a yurt in Stone Mountain, Georgia, and it was actually a lot of fun. While I could have done without trekking back and forth to the communal bathroom, I did love the gorgeous yurt right on a small lake. I really have zero interest in popping up a tent and truly roughing it... But I suppose I could be convinced!

I put together an entire article on what to pack for camping for Zulily, so, I suppose to I should now, well, go camping! I've cabin camped several times at Possum Kingdom Lake with my Girl Scouts and love the lake there! I am more a hotel mama, though, so I asked around and did some research to come up with five awesome spots to camp that aren't too far for a quick weekend getaway.

Fishing at Possum Kingdom Lake


Weekend Camping Getaways

Mineral Wells State Park: 

This spot is only about an hour straight west of Arlington, making it ideal for a quick weekend trip. Here you can rock climb, geocache, fish, swim (there are no lifeguards), bike, hike and more. You can stay at a screened shelter or rent a campsite and bring your own tent. 

Daingerfield State Park:

Located near Texarkana, a little less than three hours from Arlington, this state park has an 80-acre lake you can explore by boat- bring your own or rent one there. Go geocaching or fishing, and enjoy karaoke at the main pavilion on some weekend nights. There are historic cabins for rent and plenty of East Texas fun to be had!

Colorado Bend State Park:

This gorgeous park keeps showing up in my Instagram feed by Texas influencers, and for good reason! You can go on cave tours, check out Gorman Falls, cool off in the Colorado River, and bike or hike as much as you like. This spot is a little more than three hours southwest of Arlington.

Inks Lake State Park:

Inks Lake State Park is about three hours from Arlington, not far from Killeen, Texas. It offers a swimming hole called Devil's Waterhole and has a small canyon for hiking. There are nearly 200 campsites available and some cabins, as well. This spot offers some playgrounds for kids as well as volleyball, paddle boats and more.

Krause Springs: 

Krause Springs, in Spicewood, Texas, is another gorgeous spot near Austin that keeps showing up on my Instagram feed. This 115-acre area is privately owned and boasts 32 springs. There are swimming holes (both natural and manmade) and a butterfly garden. There ae RV spots and camping spots. This is truly a spot where you can unwind and connect with nature. 

Where are your favorite spots to camp in Texas?

Further proof that I have camped!



No comments:

Post a Comment