Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Kids' Summer Reading Incentives

I love to read. Like, love love to read. I read 6 books in May and have more than 70 (that is not a typo) stacked against my bedroom wall just waiting for me to dive in. I prefer chick lit by British authors as well as mysteries and thrillers. The last great book I read was The Paris Orphan, although I do wish the ending had been different.

These days, my kids feel the pull of screens more than I would like them to. It's hard to convince them to put down YouTube Kids and read a book. In the summer, I institute 20 minutes of reading every day. It can be more but it can't be less. Somedays they read willingly, somedays it's a real challenge. 

Check out the great article I recently did for Zulily about starting a book club for kids! I loved doing this with my girls when they are little and am trying to convince my youngest to round up a few friends start one herself. 


My most avid reader with her current favorite book, The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl.

Luckily, there are lots of great summer reading incentives for kids out there right now. My girls can get earn all kinds of great stuff, from free books to free food, just by sitting still and reading a book. Why won't someone do that for me?! I'd be the happiest mama on the planet if someone gave me freebies for doing something I already love...

Summer Reading Challenges (with Incentives!) for Kids

Summer Reading Challenge with the Arlington Public Library- Fill out the reading log between June 1 and July 31 and then bring the completed log to the library for a goodie bag! Previous goodie bags have included coupons for food and ice cream as well as fun items to celebrate a job well done by your kiddos!

Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Challenge- Print out the log sheet and fill it out with books your kiddos read this summer (for kids in grades 1-6) and then bring to your closest store for a free book from a pre-approved list.  

Pizza Hut Camp Book It!- Free pizza just for reading? Yes please! Complete the monthly reading journal with your child and they will receive a coupon for a free personal pizza. Yum! 

Scholastic Summer Reading- Join this virtual reading program where kids can complete challenges and earn virtual rewards. There is new content weekly, where kids can gain access to all kinds of unique content from favorite authors and more. 

H-E-Buddy Reading Club- Read 10 books and fill them in on the linked log sheet. Then mail the completed form, by October 1, to H-E-B in San Antonio and your child will be rewarded with a special prize! 

Chuck E Cheese Reading Rewards Calendar- Have your child read daily for two weeks and record it on the linked calendar. Then bring it to your closest CEC for 10 free play points! Score! 

Kids can earn free pizza with Camp Book It!


No comments:

Post a Comment