Monday, August 29, 2016

Iceland Ice Cream for the Win!

For the past week, my Facebook newsfeed has been filled with posts of delicious-looking creations from Iceland Ice Cream, a new ice cream shop in the old Kid to Kid building on Arbrook Blvd., just east of S. Cooper St. Not one to not be up on current around-town happenings, I dragged the trio there tonight to try out the treats. (It also didn't hurt that I won a free ice cream on FB for sharing the shop's post last week... Super score!)

The trio and I are happy to report that Iceland did NOT disappoint!
It took us some time to go over the menu options. I have one die-hard vanilla fan, one gotta-have-chocolate girl and one that changes her mind like Taylor Swift changes boyfriends. We had to start by choosing a flavor, then choosing a mix in, and lastly adding toppings (up to 3). Each cup costs $5.99 and they only have one size. If I had gotten to choose, I totally would have gone with green tea with a peach mix-in, but I'll have to save that for next time! 
My oldest chose chocolate with a graham cracker mix-in topped with gummy bears and m&m's. My two littles chose vanilla with a strawberry mix-in topped with sprinkles and m&m's.


It's as cool to watch the ice cream being made as it is to enjoy the ice cream! My girls loved watching the employees pour the flavor onto the cold grill and chop and stir their mix-ins until the concoction froze. My middle daughter's favorite part was watch the employees then "roll up" the ice cream to prepare it to be served. I have to admit- it was pretty neat! I've never seen anything like it. (They even have a video of the ice cream being made on a continuous loop on a TV affixed to the wall, so my girls got to enjoy the show again and again!)


The results of their work were so yummy to enjoy! We gobbled down three cups between the four of us... And this preggo could have eaten a fourth, I'll be honest. Not only was the presentation one of the prettiest I've ever seen (as far as ice cream goes, anyway), the consistency was fantastic! It was cold and not unlike ice cream I'd buy for the girls at Kroger, but it was easier to eat because the rolls sort of melted right in your mouth. It was also easier for my girls to serve themselves because the ice cream crumbled easily onto the spoons- no struggling the way you would with store-bought ice cream.




I highly recommend giving this place a try- you won't regret it!
Word to the wise: They do not take credit cards for purchases less than $10... So bring cash if you are only wanting one cup, or be prepared to buy two.
(They also have another FB contest up this week for free ice cream... Just search their name and like, share and tag friends on their current giveaway post!)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment