Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The Best Fast Food Play Areas in the Arlington Area

There are days when I can't. I can't brave the pools and the stifling August heat in Texas. I can't handle the lights and craziness of Chuck E Cheese or Peter Piper Pizza. I can't do trampoline parks or bouncy places or anything that involves my constant supervision. And staying home... Well, my house is not a jungle gym or a paint-as-you-will blank canvas, despite what my trio may lead you to believe.
So I take my kids to McDonald's.
There. I admitted it.
Personally, I think some of our area McDonald's have some pretty fantastic indoor climbing gyms. On a good day, I can promise my kids an ice cream cone and an hour of play, and they are happy to give me some peace. I can enjoy a Diet Coke and a comfy booth and let them burn some excess energy!
We've been scouting all of the McDonalds in the area to come up with this list of our favorite five! We focused on McDonald's because each playarea is so different from the next. We love Chick Fil A- but the playareas are all the same, so you know what you are getting into (and I have a love/hate relationship with the doors on the playareas... It's amazing my kids don't have any broken fingers after all these years!) . We also didn't find any Burger Kings with playareas worthy of our top five.
These are listed in no particular order.

1. McDonald's at Great Southwest and I-20 (near Grand Prairie Outlets)
My girls love eating their ice cream cones (or meals, if it's lunch/dinnertime) in this cute, old-timey car. It's a fun space for them to spread their French fries out in! They also usually beg me to let them eat on the surfboard table, located at the bottom middle of the play structure, but I see a lot of barefoot kiddos climbing on the surfboard table, so I usually veto that idea... There is plenty of seating in the playarea for families, and this is a great stop if you are heading west after a day in Dallas! My only complaint about this location is that there is no bathroom in the playarea. I hate this because it's impossible convincing my girls to put on shoes and walk across the restaurant with me if one needs to potty!



2. McDonald's at Broad St. and Holland, Mansfield

I think my girls' favorite feature of this McD's is the TV mounted on the wall that always plays cartoons! In front of the TV is a small table, the perfect height for little ones. This McD's has a sort of outdoors theme. There is plenty of seating for families and kiddos, and the play area keeps all three of mine engaged for some time! I do also love that this location has tables next to the play structure, making it easy for kiddos to grab a fry between slides.


3. McDonald's at Camp Wisdom and 360, Grand Prairie
We love the fire department theme this playarea rocks! The walls are decorated with items from GP Fire Department, which is so fun and unique for littles! Like the other GP location I listed, this location also has a themed truck with tables to enjoy lunch in. This play structure is similar to the others I've listed, but this McD's is worth a visit for the fire department decor alone, especially if you have a little one who loves firemen!

4. McDonald's at Randol Mill and Fielder, Arlington

I love this McDonald's because this play structure is different from most the others in the area. It reminds me of the one by the Dallas Zoo, where we normally stop for ice cream after a fun trip. The structure itself is round, and there is a large open part for little ones not yet of climbing age to play in. My girls also love all the murals painted on the walls, complete with Ronald McDonald and company. This eating area is huge- able to accommodate loads of kids and parents. My only complaint is how chilly they keep it in summer! I need to remember a sweater for a stop here!


5. McDonald's at Pioneer Parkway/303 and Bowen, Pantego

This McDonald's was redone a few years back and the result is fantastic! The playarea is huge, with lots of stimulation. There are three touchscreen game systems at kiddo height to entertain those who are too worn out to climb. There are long tables down the middle of the area with lights on the tables that activated by touch, which gives littles something to do other than just fidget while they eat their apple slices. The climbing "gym" is large, with a small area underneath for the 2 and under set and a bigger climbing area for older kids. This playarea also has door that blocks it from the rest of the restaurant, making childless patrons less likely to be bothered by the noise. My only complaint for this restaurant is that there are no restrooms in this playarea. Hard when you have three kids and only one has to potty...

Other honorable mentions are the location at Green Oaks and I-20 in Arlington and the locations at Collins and Green Oaks in Arlington. For something other than McDonald's, check out Burger Box in Kennedale, with it's retro-themed decor and yummy menu, and the Burger King in Kennedale, which has a small playarea appropriate for kids 3 and under!












No comments:

Post a Comment