Monday, April 26, 2021

It Pays to Be Green: How to Maximize BYO Rewards

April is Earth Month (and Earth Day is 4/22). What are you doing to help the environment?

I have a trunk full of reusable shopping bags. Some I'm gotten for free at various events through the years, or just from shopping at retailers such as Lululemon, who package all of their purchases in them. Others I have paid for at check out because they were just so cute! There is no shortage of reusable shopping bags in my life... The kicker for me is actually remembering to bring them when I go shopping! Especially if the store offers a bring-your-own-bag discount. What a waste to NOT bring all the bags in my garage. 

Zulily recently asked me to do an article on the top kitchen gadgets you need in your life to make your kitchen less wasteful. Some of these fixes are easy- stop using plastic sandwich baggies and throw-away silverware! Others are harder- like kitchen composting. I want to get there! I'm just... not there yet.

Get a discount for bringing your own bag to certain stores. 



But writing this article really gave me pause. I know I'm not great with my environmental impact. We put out two or three overflowing trash bags for pick up each week. I try to recycle, but, sometimes I simply don't because it's a lot of work. I let my kids bring chips and dried fruit to school in plastic sandwich baggies and we use paper plates that we toss in the trash more than I should probably admit.

So, I need to make a few changes. Luckily, stores are starting to incentivize people like me to make these changes! Some big companies are beginning to adopt policies that encourage you to reduce, reuse and recycle. Here a few spots that reward you for your reduce, reuse, recycle efforts. A discount and a (small) step toward sustainability? Yes please! 

Stores that reward you to Bring Your Own

Target: Bring your own reusable bags to Target and get $0.05 back per bag used. Plus, most stores have recycling stations for plastic bags that can't be placed in the green bins at your home.

Whole Foods Market: The Arlington store will give you $0.05 off your purchase for every reusable bag you use during your shopping trip. Plus, there are collection containers here for recycle cans, bottles and paper goods. 

Starbucks: Get $0.10 off your java jolt when you bring your own reusable cup to collect your morning Starbucks fix in!

Dunkin' Donuts: Some locations offer a discount on coffee when you bring your own reusable cup, but this program was suspended for Covid. Keep your eyes peeled for when they start it back up! 

Several stores not in the Arlington area, including Peet's Coffee and Seattle's Best Coffee, offer similar discount programs. Keep your eyes peeled when you see great BYO discount and send them my way to add to this list!

If you need to recycle cardboard, did you know that each of the Arlington libraries has a large green recycling dumpster in their parking lots? If your green bin is overflowing, don't just set your cardboard out for trash! Fill your trunk and bring it to the library. It's totally free. 

Other Awesome Discounts on Recycled/Reused Goods

Love makeup? Bring six empty MAC Cosmetic containers to select stores and receive a free full-size lipstick! More info here. 

Want some new clothes? Not sure what to do with stuff that is beat-up and worn out? Take our old clothing to H&M and get a 15% discount on your next purchase! You can bring in any old clothing for recycle and snag the discount. Score! 

Trade in old electronics at Target and get PayPal cash or a Target gift card! Target wants all of your old electronics, from old phones and tablets to consoles and speakers. Click this link to learn more. 

What are your favorite ways to earn cash back or discounts for recycling or reusing?

Reduce, reuse, recycle.







No comments:

Post a Comment