Sunday, December 27, 2020

DIY Farmhouse Decor for Your Living Room





When we moved this summer, I knew I would want to update my new space to reflect my style. With a blank slate of space in mind, my husband and I hit up furniture and decor shops looking for inspiration on a style to call our own. 

Modern Farmhouse is the theme of the moment, and we were instantly charmed by its rustic feel and bright openness. I love the freshness of white and pale gray, as well as the dark wood accents prevalent in this motif. We didn't walk into a single furniture store in the Dallas/Fort Worth-area that didn't contains loads of white or off-white distressed furniture with wood accents. I love it all!

Check out this post to see more modern farmhouse decor I ideas I wrote about for Zulily!

While we bought a lot of furniture new, we did have a few older pieces from our first home that were structurally in good condition but needed some TLC. I had never before refinished furniture but decided now was as good a time as any to start! 



DIY: Repaint your Old Furniture to Make It New Again

My first project was a set of three tables for our living room- a sofa table, coffee table and end table. They were originally a medium wood and had lots of damage from water and kids through the years. I was surprised at how easy each piece was to refinish!

To redo your own furniture, you will need:

1. Sandpaper

2. Paintbrushes (I used multiple sizes)

3. Wood stain in the color of your choosing

4. Paint (I used chalk paint in white for my tables)

5. Painters tape

~Start by sanding each piece to make it smooth

~Stain first. I restained the tops of each of my tables and then let them dry for 48 hours.

~Tape off any areas of the tables or furniture where you don't want paint to make sure you have clean lines.

~Paint. It took me about 3 coats to get my desired look and effect.

~Let furniture dry for about 48 hours after you apply the final coat.

~Sand and distress. Have fun with this part- this is how you really make your piece unique! I sanded legs, corners and centers of the underside of my tables and love the result.

~Optional step: Apply a clear/finishing coat. I didn't do this because I like the look and feel of the chalk paint but some people prefer a more satin-y finish.

Voila! Your furniture, modernized by you!

DIY Modern Farmhouse Decor

After we maxed out our furniture budget and I redid the pieces I wanted to, I decided I would need to DIY a few decor pieces before we went broke furnishing the new house. I came across a simple stack of books at a vintage shop in East Texas and couldn't wait to remake it myself!



Vintage Book Stack Decor:

You will need:

Several old books (I picked several up at Arlington Resale)

White spray paint

Twine

Decorative (fake) flowers

Stamps

1. Remove jacket from books. Smooth the binding to remove any excess glue.

2. Spray paint books white and let them dry. 

3. Decide on a saying to stamp on the book bindings and stamp. How about "Kindness is everything" or "Happiness is contagious."

4. Stack books together. Bind them with twine.

5. Add flowers for decoration on top.

Voila! A gorgeous, simple craft that can be placed on a mantelpiece or bookshelf.

Modern Farmhoue is the theme of the first floor of my house, and I love it! I get regular compliments about how open and bright my space is. I have accessorized with fun clocks (purchased from Big Lots!), vintage frames with pictures of my sweet girls (from Hobby Lobby) and canvasses and pictures with fabulous sayings. 

What DIY projects have you found to make to accessorize your Modern Farmhouse?


No comments:

Post a Comment