Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Have Kids, Will Travel: Weekend in Wichita

 My kids and I are on a quest to visit all 50 states. 

So when I found out that Wichita, Kansas, is only 5.5 hours from Arlington, I knew it was the perfect weekend escape for my crew. 

A quick internet search about Wichita gave me these bits of info about Kansas' largest city.

~Wichita is located in south central Kansas, where the Little and Big Arkansas Rivers meet. It is about 160 miles north of Oklahoma City. 

~Wichita is nicknamed the "Air Capital of the World" because several major airplane manufacturers have facilities there, including Airbus and Learjet. 

~Wichita is home to the largest airport in Kansas. 

I grew up in the Midwest, so I'm pretty partial to the downhome feel of those middle-of-the-country states. (Although I'm also a Missouri Tiger, and this gives me mixed feelings about all things Kansas!) I love the weather in the Midwest (Summers aren't as hot as in Texas and Winters aren't as mild), and my kids delighted in the fact that there was still a small amount of snow on the ground upon arrival in Kansas. We all took an instant liking to the place!

I had never been to Kansas before this visit to Wichita, meaning I was seeing the state and landscape for the first time alongside my kiddos  Together we explored downtown, shopped for treasures at Lucinda's, ate so much yummy food at Chicken N Pickle, hung out with the animals at the zoo and so much more! We also can't say enough good things about our hotel, the Drury Plaza Hotel Broadview

The EA definitely recommends putting Wichita on your schedule for a fun summer road trip. To get to Wichita, you hop on I-35 and drive north for about 375 miles. Plan to stop near Stillwater at the Cowboy Travel Plaza to gas up and let the kiddos stretch and play on the indoor pirate ship play area! A four-day weekend should give you plenty of time to explore the best of Wichita and get a feel for the city that considers itself the Heart of the Country!

Must-Visit Spots in Wichita

Exploration Place- This wonderful science spot along the Arkansas River is a kid's happy place. Study aviation, play in a medieval play area, experience high winds in the wind tunnel, learn about the Plains, test your skills as a guitarist and more. This spot is hours of fun for kids! I love when learning and fun combine for the ultimate afternoon. 


The Museum of World Treasures- This is a fascinating spot for older kids (I would recommend for 10 and up). Learn about the United States' Presidents, see relics from many of the great wars the US has been involved in, see ancient artifacts from long-gone civilizations and so much more. There is a kids' play area on the third floor that looked fun but was closed during our visit. The rest of the museum was interesting for my fifth grader and me, but my other two girls (8 and 7) weren't quite as enthralled.

Sedgwick County Zoo- observe almost 400 species of animals at this zoo, the seventh largest in the country. Get up close with farm animals, walk through the Rainforest exhibit, learn about multiple venomous snakes (I skipped this part!) and so much more at this animal sanctuary. We especially loved seeing the tigers!


Botanica-  In the summer, stroll the gorgeous gardens and ride the carousel. In the winter, stroll through the Illuminations display, which will make you feel as though you've stepped onto the set of a Hallmark movie. The gardens even have a great gift shop with some absolute gems, so don't forget your wallet!

Kansas Aviation Museum- This is honestly one of those spots that pleasantly surprised me. We are an airline family (my husband helps build fighter jets, my brother is a pilot and my mom is a flight attendant!), so airplanes fascinate us. While I was personally interested in exploring aircrafts from yesteryear, I really didn't think this museum would hold the girls' interest very long. Well, I love being wrong! This museum has a kids' area on the second floor that allows kids to simulate flying planes, work in a control tower and more. We spent hours learning and playing. Plus, this spot is free for kids 12 and younger and their adult chaperones Fridays before noon through the end of 2020! Don't underestimate this spot- its as fun as it is educational and fascinating!


Where to Eat in Wichita

I'm not sure if I should admit how much I like to eat, honestly. But there is certainly something fun on vacation about finding spots that locals love. We tried out three places we would definitely frequent if we lived in ICT!

Chicken N Pickle- Let me just start by saying we spent more than $150 and 6 hours (spread over two days) at this destination restaurant and playground! This spot has an ice rink and pickleball courts, as well as life-size versions of some of your favorite games, including Battleship. Order a chicken sandwich or the chicken and waffles, grab a drink and spend an afternoon playing and relaxing. We are getting one of these in Grand Prairie next year, and guys... Just try to beat me there!

Picassos Pizzeria- This is a spot where you get some serious bang for your buck! Snag a pizza slice bigger than your head for less than $10. I highly recommend the BBQ chicken slice. So. Good. The kids' menu is super affordable and sure to fill up and delight even your pickiest eaters! Plus it's next door to a cute local boutique to grab some souvenirs. 

Bite Me BBQ- Unfussy local barbeque at great prices! My middle daughter actually ordered the fish tacos (because I always have one who likes to be difficult) but we all found something on this menu to fill our bellies, and we all went home happy! I'm a huge fan of BBQ turkey sandwiches from barbeque joints and this one did not disappoint.

Must-Stop Shops for your Weekend in Wichita

The Nifty Nuthouse- If you, like me, have a wicked sweet tooth, you won't want to skip The Nifty Nuthouse! This locally-owned shopped, a Wichita staple since 1937, has everything you need to gift or enjoy yourself. From nuts of all flavors to gum and unique gifts to savory treats, The Nifty Nuthouse is the candy shop you dreamed about as a kid. We visited during a busy time but had plenty of friendly employees standing by ready to help us!


Lucinda's- This great spot in Wichita's Old Town is sure to have something for everyone you are shopping for! From pretty bracelets to cheeky coasters and local t-shirts to kid's gifts, this shop was fun to visit (and even more fun to drop some dollars at)! We found trinkets for several people on my Christmas list, and the girls found a few goodies to remind them of our trip as well!

Bungalow 26- If you are a lotions and potions girl like I am, don't skip this shop! This gorgeous spot, located near Picasso's Pizzeria, has tons of locally-made wares and trinkets to bring a piece of Kansas back to Texas with you! I may not be a Wichita native, but I loved all the candles that boasted the various neighborhoods that make up the city. They all smelled so good!

We didn't make it to the Great Plains Transportation Museum or the Old Cowtown Museum, or a host of other spots that looked equally fun! Wichita really is a great spot to escape to for a weekend away from DFW. It's affordable, driveable and great for all ages. 

If you need more information on Wichita, visit Visit Wichita for inspiration!


*Please note: parts of my trip were sponsored or hosted by Visit Wichita. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*


No comments:

Post a Comment